Saturday, June 9, 2007

Drug Test


Got a call this week... "Are you still available for this job? Do you still want it?"

It's been four months since I applied, and it looks like they want me. Now it's off to fill out paperwork and take a drug test. I still can't believe it, but it looks like I'll be working in the bowels of bureaucracy.

No, I won't be working for the IRS. I'll be a case worker in the social services department, helping people get food and money to support their families. People who are down and out.

I've been getting a lot of emotional support from my family for getting this job: "Congratulations!"
But I don't know how I feel about it yet. It's a definite paradigm shift. How does one go from radio to working for the welfare office? I've been telling people, "It's a good thing they hired me: Instead of having to access their services, I'm just going to go work for them."

I've tried this before, you know. Trying to do something else other than radio. The difference here, is that this whole process of applying for the job has carried on such a long time. And also, there is training; at least two months of intensive training. So many jobs that I've had outside of broadcasting left me feeling either I was in over my head, or that I would lose it at any moment. I feel like I'm joining humanity, being given this one last chance to prove myself with a real job.

I need the stability. Maybe my mental acuity will return.

So it's off to the drug test on Monday. And we'll see.


No comments: